Weekly Wine Grab Bag: August 29, 2019

I honestly didn't plan to have an all-Italian grab bag this week. Just like I didn't really plan to spend two weeks there in May. But Italy has a way of finding me! And I'm certainly not complaining. This week is a perfect storm: Italian wine is in the news and my final wines from the aforementioned trip recently arrived. Add in the fact that I'm pulling Italian bottles from my collection for my parents' upcoming visit, and there you have it. Molto bene!

This Week: Italian Wine on the Rise, Plus Chianti and Lambrusco

Wine of the Week: Organic/Biodynamic Chianti Classico

Il Vallone di Cecione 2016 Chianti Classico is a blend 90% Sangiovese and 10% Canaiolo aged 8 months in large barrels and at least 4 months in bottle. It's a lively Chianti Classico with bright acidity, rustic tannins, and notes of bright red cherries, red plums, tobacco, oregano, white pepper, rosemary, and wildflowers. Winemaker Francesco Anichini dedicates this wine to his parents who are pictured on the label working the vineyards in 1975.

Purchase at Astor Wines for $17.

Francesco Anichini explaining his wines.

Quod Vinum

The Chianti Classico subregion sits within the Chianti region of Tuscany, just south of Florence and north of Siena. Its DOCG rules state that it must contain at least 80% Sangiovese. The other 20% can be Colorino, Canaiolo Nero, Cabernet Sauvignon and/or Merlot if the winemaker desires. (Or 100% Sangiovese.) Chianti Classico's official symbol is the black rooster.

(Source: Wine Enthusiast)


Black rooster of Chianti Classico spotted at Il Vallone di Cecione.

From the Meg & Merlot Archives

Sangiovese not your thing? Perhaps Piedmont has something to offer.

Comments